Hayat al-Flooz

As a wee-one in the Heartland, writing was my pleasure, solace and therapy all in one. As I settle into unsettled living in New York City, it is due time to reconnect with my old friend. Enjoy the attempted intellectual musings and personal reflections; comment with reckless abandon. Welcome to the life of Flooz.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Introductions

Hello readers, real or imaginary. I am you host Flooz and this is my baby blog. Isn't she cute? First, some formalities, after which I will address the real question at hand.

I hail from the Dakotas, attended college in New York and have since taken up residence in this fine city. My interests are in the Middle East, America's relation with it, cultural theory and shopping. Yes, shopping. Readers can expect regular commentary on the above subjects, as well as the occasional sappy piece of introspection (for which I sincerely apologize for in advance). I freely admit to being an awful speller and will try to paste posts in from Word in order to avoid embarrassment. If I forget, consider me not so embarrassed.

Now to the aforementioned important issue at hand: why start a blog in the first place? While I’m sure everyone has his or her own reason, ranging from the crucial-to-the-survival-of-mankind (Gawker) to the crucial-to-the-survival-of-your-disgruntled-friends (SmelBlog), mine is really far more selfish. I’m in a rut. I feel like the FloozTrain has derailed somewhere and needs to be placed back on the track. It is partly due to my general unhappiness with my job/job hunt and the desire to be back in graduate school, but also largely with me having transformed from a lively, loving person to an apathetic and stubborn cynic. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt passionately about anything, and the intersection of politics, culture and writing seems as good a site as any to recharge my battery.

Tomorrow we will talk about the theory that one can moderate radical elements of government by inviting them into the ruling party. If you'll lucky you'll get that with a side of niqab. Oh snap.

1 Comments:

Blogger EMN said...

HOORAY!!! My roommate/life partner has started a blog! This will be fun.

One request, my dear -- Can you translate your foreigner-speak, please? Some of us just don't have the facility with Semites like you do.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home